Tuesday, August 7, 2007

everything cheerful


Tomorrow is my leaving-Kentucky day, and I am almost ready to go. I love hot weather, but not this kind. When I dare to venture outside, the heat creeps up my legs under my skirt like a sidewalk villain. I'm stoked on Colorado, for Tony's house at 10,000 feet, for cool nights when I might actually need to wear a jacket and socks.

Though I am going to be v.sad saying goodbye to dear mama, and dear Ivy, and dear Jerry, I am ready to move on to cheerier places and conversations: discussion over the last few days has revolved around an old family friend who was murdered (find the story here), and also around my mother's insistence that I must hire an attorney and draft a will (so the government won't get their "dirty paws" on whatever assets I've got, and "use it to kill anyone else for lies"). Though I agree with her, the thought of putting any of my money into any attorney's dirty paws in order to draft the thing isn't super appealing either (sorry Camille and Marja. Y'all ain't got dirty paws). Shit. I forgot to pay my quarterly taxes. Real life is getting closer, only 2400 miles away.

Anyway. Murders and wills and oppressive heat is the news from Lake Wobegon. That, and... some lovely free-speech capers this morning involving a banner and a highway overpass. Rock on, my dear sisters and brothers. I heart you all.

No comments: